Tuesday, November 11, 2014

What I Wish I'd Known as a Teacher

This is a blog post from Edutopia from contributor Elena Aguilar. This is an extremely insightful article about Mrs. Aguilar's first year of teaching and what she wished she knew. This is not the first article I have read that explains how extremely stressful the first year of teaching is or can be. Because this seems to be common knowledge, I try to seek out as much information as possible to prepare myself for that year. At the very least, if I do get extremely stressed out that year, I will know it is normal. This article doesn't give any concrete strategies or classroom management ideas, it is just an article about managing stress. She makes sure that you know that if what you do comes from the heart that you can rarely be wrong. One thing she mentions that I find a very important piece of advice is to find a mentor. This will be the first thing I try to do when I get into a classroom. I can see the value of someone with an unbiased view telling you what you should do or not do. She says finding a mentor is so important that if one is not available to you, you should change schools. I agree with her that finding one is that important.

What I Wish I knew...

No comments:

Post a Comment